Tyler Waddell – Sports Information Graduate Assistant
Hartsville, SC – The Pfeiffer men's tennis team edged Coker for a 5-4 win in what was its final nonconference match before a long stretch of nine straight Conference Carolinas meetings starting next week.
With the victory, the Falcons improve to 4-4 on the season, having won four of their last five matches entering conference play.
Coker led 2-1 after doubles play with Henrik Hellbe and Hunter Horton winning 9-8 at No. 1 over Thomas Hubble and Bjorn Barwinski. Felix Schweyer and Walker Long defeated Eduan Louw and David Weir at No. 3 by a score of 8-5. Pfeiffer grabbed a win at No. 2, courtesy of Raul Ruiz and Axel Woerner, 8-6.
The Cobras went up 3-1 after Mark Watt took a 0-6, 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 1 singles against Woerner. But starting with a 7-5, 6-2 win at No. 2, Barwinski fueled a Pfeiffer comeback, as the Falcons responded with a big run to take Nos. 2-5 and clinch the overall match.
Pfeiffer will host Mount Olive at the Knapp Tennis Center on Tuesday, Feb. 28 at 2 p.m.
1. Mark Watt (COKERM) def. Axel Woerner (PFUMT) 0-6, 6-1, 6-1
2. Bjorn Barwinski (PFUMT) def. Felix Schweyer (COKERM) 7-5, 6-2
3. Thomas Hubble (PFUMT) def. Hunter Horton (COKERM) 6-1, 6-1
4. David Weir (PFUMT) def. Simon Bergbom (COKERM) 6-1, 6-1
5. Raul Ruiz (PFUMT) def. Dominic Allan (COKERM) 6-1, 0-6, 7-5
6. Walker Long (COKERM) def. Eduan Louw (PFUMT) 6-1, 7-5