Tyler Waddell – Sports Information Graduate Assistant
Boiling Springs, NC – Pfeiffer's men's tennis team (3-4) dropped a tough loss to Division I opponent Gardner Webb (4-5) on Monday afternoon, 6-1, putting an end to its overall match winning streak at three.
The Falcons were unable to notch a set win in doubles play with Eduan Louw and David Weir falling to Michael Perry and Ross Gilbert, 6-1, at No. 3. Runnin' Bulldogs aces Maximilian Scholl and Paul Hogan followed suit over Bjorn Barwinski and Thomas Hubble with a 6-0 win at No. 1 doubles to seal the point.
Axel Woerner and Raul Ruiz fell at No. 2 doubles to give Gardner Webb the sweep.
Bradley Batton had a tough go against Anthony Brennan at No. 6 singles, falling in straight sets, 6-1, 6-0. Scholl then defeated Woerner, 6-1, 6-3 at the No. 1 position before Johan Fors clinched the win for GWU, winning 6-2, 6-0 over Louw at No. 5.
Barwinski secured the only match win for Pfeiffer on the day, defeating Hogan in three sets at No. 2 (2-6, 7-6, 10-7). But Gardner Webb closed the door with two more wins at No. 3 and 4 singles for the 6-1 final.
Pfeiffer will play at Coker this Sunday, Feb. 26 at noon.
1. SCHOLL, Maximillian (GWU-M) def. Axel Woerner (PFUMT) 6-1, 6-3
2. Bjorn Barwinski (PFUMT) def. HOGAN, Paul (GWU-M) 2-6, 7-6, 10-7
3. SCHMIDT, Adam (GWU-M) def. David Weir (PFUMT) 6-2, 4-6, 10-4
4. PLENTZ, Breno (GWU-M) def. Raul Ruiz (PFUMT) 6-4, 6-2
5. FORS, Johan (GWU-M) def. Eduan Louw (PFUMT) 6-2, 6-0
6. BRENNAN, Anthony (GWU-M) def. Bradley Batten (PFUMT) 6-1, 6-0